What is the Housing Rehabilitation Program?
The Housing Rehabilitation Program is designed to provide financial and technical assistance to property owners to assist in repairing substandard housing. Assistance is available to qualified owner-occupants.
NOTE: Single-wide mobile homes are not eligible under this program.
How do I qualify?
- You must be the owner and occupant of the property
- You must be income eligible
- No active bankruptcy
- No judgments in excess of $1000 (local, State or Federal)
- Property taxes must be current
- Must be sufficient equity in the home to support the cost of repairs
Are there any other requirements?
- The property must be located in Cumberland County, outside the City limits of Fayetteville
- Property cannot have any outstanding liens or second mortgage
What types of assistance are available?
Financial assistance is provided in the form of a deferred forgivable loan. In other words, deferred loans are forgiven annually on a prorated basis, beginning on the sixth anniversary of the loan (or the 61st month) throughout the remainder of the term.
How does the process work?
- Contact CCCD at 910-323-6112 or stop by the office located at 707 Executive Place in Fayetteville. A staff member will complete an intake form.
- CCCD staff will schedule an interview with the homeowner to verify homeownership, income, and to complete the application.
- Eligible applicants will be forwarded to the Housing Services Division and a Housing Rehabilitation Specialist will conduct an inspection of the property to assess needed repairs.
- A work write-up is developed outlining the needed repairs.
- Bid documents are prepared and submitted to approved contractors.
- Bids are reviewed with the selected contractor and homeowner.
- Loan is closed.
- Contractor begins work on the home.
How do I apply?
Complete the pre-application either by:
- Calling 910-323-6112 and apply over the phone
- Stopping by the office at, 707 Executive Place to complete in person.
Types of Assistance:
Financial assistance is provided in the form of a loan. The loan amount is determined on an individual basis.
- Type of Loan: Deferred Loan (no payments)
- Eligible Participant: Must have a household income below 80% of the median income for Cumberland County
- Note interest rate: 3%
- Repayment term: 15 years payment deferred
Loan deferrals are forgiven annually on a prorated basis, beginning on the sixth anniversary of the loan and throughout the remainder of the term.
Links to Other Community Resources