Community Emergency Response Team
Cumberland County Emergency Services and the City of Fayetteville Emergency Management Department formed the Cape Fear Community Emergency Response Team in 2019, from the merging of the Hope Mills CERT and other community groups.
A Community Emergency Response Team, or CERT, is made up of volunteers who are trained to respond to a community’s immediate needs in the aftermath of a disaster. Cape Fear CERT is sponsored by Cumberland County Emergency Services and is governed by a board of directors.
Examples of duties that can be performed by a CERT:
- Assist with evacuations and traffic control
- Promote community awareness of potential hazards and preparedness measures
- Distribute and/or install smoke alarms and batteries to those living in low-income housing
- Supplement staffing at special events, such as parades and festivals
- Act as victims (role playing) in training exercise and drills
- Assist with vaccine clinics
Printable Cape Fear CERT brochure.
Learn more about CERT and training opportunities here.