FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – The following is a summary of the Cumberland County Board of Commissioners meeting, which was held Feb. 5, 2024 at 9 a.m. in Room 118 of the Judge E. Maurice Braswell Cumberland County Courthouse.
Assistant County Manager for General Government & Stewardship Brian Haney introduced the County’s new Communications Director, Diane Rice, whose first day with the County was Monday, Jan. 29, 2024. Rice comes to Cumberland County from Texas, where she served as Communications and Public Engagement Officer for the City of Roanoke. Commissioners welcomed Rice to Cumberland County.
The Board recognized the Cumberland County Finance Department on Receiving the Fiscal Year 2022 Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canda (GFOA). The department received the award for the County’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2022. The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in the area of governmental accounting and financial reporting. This was the 32nd consecutive year the County has received the award.
Commissioners recognized the following employees with the Cumberland County Cooperative Extension who received awards during the District Extension meeting on Nov. 30, 2023.
- Jessica Drake, 4-H Youth Development Extension Agent, received the Carolyn Stanley Barnes and George Edward Barnes 4-H Graduate Education Scholarship which provides a graduate education scholarship to a 4-H professional.
- Susan Johnson, Administrative Assistant, received the Ort Family Scholarship Award that recognizes staff who have demonstrated exceptional capacities to empower people and provide solutions through their professional leadership and vision.
- Candy Underwood, Family and Consumer Sciences Extension Agent, received the Search for Excellence Award, sponsored by The Grange, which promotes and identifies professional excellence within all facets of North Carolina Cooperative Extension.
The Board removed a presentation from the County’s financial advisors, DEC Associates on the County’s Capital Planning Models due to several commissioners not in attendance. The presentation will be rescheduled for a future meeting.
The Board unanimously approved the following items as part of the CONSENT AGENDA:
- Approval of Rejection of Invitation for Bid #24-11-CROWN Banquet Chairs
- Approval of Contract Amendment for Ground Mosquito Control Services Stand-By Contract
- Approval of Contract Amendment for Temporary Employment Services with 22nd Century Technologies, Inc.
- Approval to Pay Prior Year Invoices
- Approval of Health Department Delinquent Accounts to be turned over to the NC Debt Set-Off Program
- Approval of Report on Delinquent Real Property Taxes for the Year 2023
- Approval of Resolution to Accept Water Feasibility Grant from NCDEQ
- Approval of Sale of Surplus Real Properties Located at 217 Preston Avenue, and 219 Preston Avenue, Fayetteville
- Approval of Sale of Surplus Real Property Located Off Scott Avenue, Fayetteville
- Approval of Sale of Surplus Real Property Located At 119 Laraine Street, Fayetteville
- Approval of Budget Ordinance Amendments for the February 5, 2024 Board of Commissioners' Agenda
A PUBLIC HEARING was held on the following item:
- Sale of Land to Piedmont Natural Gas for Regulator Station – On Jan. 16, 2024, the Board approved a Resolution of Intent to Sale Certain Real Property to Piedmont Natural Gas Pursuant to G.S. § 158-7.1(b)(5). The statute requires a public hearing for this sale and the resolution set Feb. 5, 2024, as the date for the public hearing. Notice of the public hearing was advertised in the Fayetteville Observer on Jan. 25, 2024. Following the public hearing, the Board voted unanimously to approve the sale of the parcel.
Assistant County Manager for Strategic Management & Governmental Affairs Sally Shutt announced that Cumberland County, in partnership with the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners (NCACC), will host a screening of the NCACC’s documentary, The Veteran’s Battlefield, this Thursday, Feb. 8, 2024, in the Crown Ballroom at 1960 Coliseum Drive, Fayetteville. A Veterans Resources Information Fair will be held prior to the screening at 5 p.m. The screening will start at 6 p.m. with a panel discussion comprised of local leaders to follow.
Meetings are streamed live on CCNC-TV though the County’s website at cumberlandcountync.gov, YouTube Channel and on CCNCTV Spectrum Channel 5. They are also archived on the County’s YouTube Channel following the meeting. All associated documents to this meeting can be found on the Cumberland County website to include meeting agendas, minutes and links to the videos under the Board of Commissioners tab.
You can also follow the Cumberland County on social media by searching CumberlandCountyNC.