This program limits taxes to a percentage of the qualifying owner's income. Remaining taxes over the limit become deferred, with the three most current years of deferred taxes becoming due, with interest, when a disqualifying event occurs. Deferred taxes become a lien on the property.
- Minimum Age 65 years OR
- Totally & Permanently Disabled (No Minimum Age)
- Combined Income Limit $47,850 (Applicant & Spouse)
- Must Own & Occupy Residence For Past Five Years
- Must Meet Qualifications January 1
- Requires An Annual Application
To apply, complete and submit FORM AV9 and required income statements with the tax office by June 1. For disabled applicants, you must also complete FORM AV-9A signed by a physician licensed to practice medicine in North Carolina.